In the change of time
Let's start in the not too distant past. 1809. In that year, the family's existing farmhouse burned down. Their home was completely destroyed by the fire. The adjacent stable building was protected during the fire and was thus saved. Rebuilding of the house began that same year and upon completion, the family was able to move back in.
After a whole century and several decades, the time had come. The existing stable building was demolished in 1888 and a new stable was built, which still exists today. Since the cattle spent the summer on the lush southern slopes of the Mirnock, the dairy farming was also moved from the farm to the alpine pasture. The alpine hut, which was operated by our farm as an alpine dairy hut at that time, was moved from the "Lanagarten" (a pasture community) to its present location in 1892. At this location, as before, it was again used as an alpine dairy hut for milking the animals and processing the milk during the summer months.
A new century - from 1900
Innovation arrives! The first small power station on the farm was built by Matthias and Andreas Gösseringer in 1920 for the generation of direct current. In 1937, the existing saw with Venetian creel, which was previously driven by a water wheel, and the small power station were combined. A new flour mill also found its place during this reconstruction. In 1935 Andreas Gösseringer sen. and his wife Frieda took over the business from his father Matthias.
The generation of electricity had developed rapidly and in 1956 it was converted from a 5.8 hp direct current generator to an alternating current generator.
A fresh wind in the sails
In the late 1950s the first harbingers of the re-emergence of tourism on Lake Millstätter See began to emerge. As there was only limited space in the farmhouse for guests on summer holidays, major renovations were carried out in the winters of 1958/1959. The birth of the Alpengasthof Bergfried! In 1960, the first summer season began with a new lease on life, joy and great festivities. Only 4 years later, in 1964, Andreas and Frieda Gösseringer realized that the house had become too small again, despite all the renovations. Two more dining rooms were added where another 120 people could be seated.
In1969 Adolf and Erika Gösseringer took over the inn as well as the farming and continued to run it with great skill and commitment. And these two were also restless when it came to renewing, expanding and perfecting.
The last major reconstruction of the hydroelectric power station, which was so important for the business, took place in 1988. The pressure pipe was extended to its current length and an electric control system was installed. Since that year, surplus energy that is not needed on the farm or in the house is also fed into the grid.
In 1990, the aging lump wood heating system was converted to a wood chip heating system, which provides heating and hot water for the house.
A piece of heaven! In 1992 the Troadkasten was purchased and subsequently converted into a holiday home. This former granary has now become a special place for holidaymakers.
From 1998 onwards, the house underwent many, many alterations. The guest rooms were renovated and brought up to date. Whereas before the rooms were equipped with a double bed and washbasin (the shower and toilet were in the corridor), the new rooms were furnished with light-coloured furniture, bathroom, radio and television. In this course also a biological purification plant for the waste water was established. The drinking water catcher of the house's own spring was also renewed.
In 2002 Doris and Andreas Gösseringer jun. took over the business from his parents Adolf and Erika and since everything in the Alpengasthof was now up to date, other projects had to be undertaken. So in 2008 we changed to a pure hay feeding of our cattle. For this purpose, the hay ventilation system was built into the barn, which was already 120 years old at the time.
In the following years, Andreas and Doris Gösseringer continued to replace the outdated with the modern. And so they continued to renovate, demolish and rebuild, because what lasts a long time - WAS finally good!